WhatsApp has previously put in place to ban accounts of people using an unsupported version of WhatsApp instead of the official WhatsApp app but now, they promise to delete the accounts of those using these unsupported versions.
After updating their FAQs, it has been made quite clear that if you receive an in-app message stating your account is “Temporarily banned” and you don’t switch to the official app after being temporarily banned, your account might be permanently banned from using WhatsApp.
According to the FAQs page, “Unsupported apps, such as WhatsApp Plus, GB WhatsApp, or apps that claim to move your WhatsApp chats between phones, are altered versions of WhatsApp. These unofficial apps are developed by third parties and violate our Terms of Service. WhatsApp doesn’t support these third-party apps because we can’t validate their security practices.”
How to switch to the official WhatsApp app
You might need to back up your chat history before moving to the official WhatsApp app. The name of the unsupported app you’re using determines whether you need to transfer your chat history. Locate the name of the app by tapping More Options > Settings > Help > App info. Follow the steps below based on the name of the app: WhatsApp Plus or GB WhatsApp.
If you’re using an app other than WhatsApp Plus or GB WhatsApp, we recommend saving your chat history before downloading the official WhatsApp app.
We recommend following the steps below to save and transfer your chat history. Failure to follow these steps could result in the lost chat history. Please note that we can’t guarantee this will be a successful chat history transfer because WhatsApp doesn’t support unofficial apps.
- Wait for your temporary ban to end. The timer will show you the length of the ban.
- In GB WhatsApp, tap More options > Chats > Back up chats.
- Go to Phone Settings > tap Storage > Files.
- Find the folder GB WhatsApp and tap and hold to select it.
- In the upper right corner tap More > Rename and rename the folder to “WhatsApp”.
- Navigate to the Play Store and download the official WhatsApp app. If you can’t access the Play Store, download the app here.
- In WhatsApp, verify your phone number.
- On the Backup found screen, tap Restore > Next.
- WhatsApp should load with your existing chats.
If your chat history was previously saved, it should automatically transfer to the official WhatsApp app.
- Navigate to the Play Store and download the WhatsApp app. If you can’t access the Play Store, download the app here.
- Verify your phone number